Sunday, April 6, 2008

um. comments, anyone?

First off, yes I am procrastinating at the moment because while I have a bunch of reading to do for school, I am updating my blog and chatting online.

Secondly, why am I updating this blog if people don't comment?!?! Are you reading? Am I talking to myself? Is there anyone out there....

I know my parents are reading this because they look at my pictures. Hi Mom! Hi Dad! Or maybe they don't even read this part and just go straight to the links? In that case... =/

Okay, I'm done complaining. But seriously, I would like to know who is out there, reading my blog. So drop a line or two!

It is past the mid-way point of my stay here. I will admit, there have been some ups and downs (More ups than downs? I haven't been keeping track). I have been doing a lot of traveling around the Greek countryside, which is amazing. I love the Greek culture here. The food, the hospitality, the DANCING!! (something I don't love: the pushing when we are waiting in line at a store..) The cafe scene is by far, one of my favorite things. The other day, my friend Jess and I went to a cafe by our building. We had some baklava (yum), and then decided to walk along the waterfront. It was such a beautiful day outside. We took some glamor shots by the water, and instead of hitting up a museum as planned, made our way to yet another cafe, this time on the balcony of the 2nd floor, and waited for the sunset. We must have spent, seriously 6 hours outside!! Coffee and conversation, two of my favorite things.

I am at this point where part of me is sad that I'm eventually leaving Greece, and yet happy that I'm going home. Being away from your family and friends for so long, and from everything familiar in life, really does take a toll on you. It makes you reconsider yourself. It leads to a lot of self-reflection. Am I who I am because of the people around me? If you transfer me to another place, with a completely different environment, will I be the same person? Yes, and no. Do I think about this kind of stuff a lot? Absolutely. Even when I was at home (both Boston and NYC), I thought a lot about this stuff. So imagine what I'm going through here!

As the weather gets warmer, the city is becoming more and more like "home," every day. I am so glad I decided to study abroad in a city, and not somewhere remote. I think living in a place with this sort of life; with traffic and crowds, and buildings, and yes, even pollution... is in my blood. I am such a city girl at heart. Also, living by the water. I don't think I realized how much I took that for granted. Both in New York and Boston, there is a body of water nearby. In Thessaloniki, there is this beautiful bay and waterfront that stretches along an entire side of the city. I love the way the sun sparkles on the water.

As this weekend is ending, I am realizing the amount of traveling I'm about to do. The next time I'm actually IN Thessaloniki during the weekend will be in the end of May. May!! By then I will have been to Athens, Prague, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, Vienna, Mt. Olympus, Halkidiki, Santorini... you know you're jealous.

... did you forget to comment on this blog? =]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm going to ACT next year (fall and winter) and i've been reading your blog to get an idea of what it will be like.
so i take it there isn't a lot of work? you are obviously able to go travel during the weekend and not tied down with work every weekend. that is a plus.
sounds like you are having an amazing time, i'm so excited. do you have any tips for new students?? like which residence would you recommend?

Katherine said...

hey there! if you send me an email (katherine.hou@gmail.com), i'd be happy to answer your questions...