Thursday, March 20, 2008

a little bit of current events

Major Strikes Paralyze Greece

When I wrote in an earlier blog entry about the frequency of strikes in Greece, I didn't realize that this current wave of strikes was affecting the entire country. There is a trash bin outside our building overflowing with garbage bags. I have had to take a taxi when the buses aren't working, and vice versa. I have sat in the dark for a couple of hours waiting for the power to get back on. This is a nationwide effort to protest a proposed change in the pension plan, which would make it harder for Greeks to retire and/or support their retirement.

It is inconvenient but I think the entire country seems to be on the same page on this one.. and they are supporting each other by organizing these strikes. They don't mean to inconvenience the population; for example, the buses only strike during high traffic times, to make it more difficult to travel during rush hour, etc. They eventually go back to work during the day. What will suck is if the air traffic controllers strike makes it difficult for me to fly to Italy today. Yes, I am going to Italy today!! I absolutely cannot wait.

Apologies for the lack of updates. After this brief hiatus I promise I will write a more detailed update of my experience here.

No comments: