Sunday, February 24, 2008

day trip to edessa

Saturday we took a day trip to a small town about an hour and a half outside Thessaloniki, called Edessa (Έδεσσα). I wasn't actually expecting to go - I had gone to bed at 4am the night before. I knew a couple of friends were going, and I told them that if they woke me up in time I might consider it, so when 7am rolled around and I heard my doorbell ringing, I was surprisingly wide awake and quickly showered and packed my bag for the trip.




The beautiful thing about Edessa is that it is located on a cliff, and has four rivers running through it, culminating in a big beautiful waterfall. I was so glad I went! We took a bus out of the K.T.E.L. station in Thessaloniki and arrived at Edessa at around 11:30. Walking two blocks to the left of the bus station we came upon an incredible view of rolling hills and small houses and the eight beautiful, white, snowy peaks of Mount Olympus. This is what I was in Greece for. We walked around some more and found what I believe to be the center of town, which two huge gnarling trees that were just itching to be climbed. We followed the rivers and saw a small Carnivale parade (this week was the first week of Carnivale). We also bought some oranges out of a truck on our way to the waterfall.



I am in love with moving water. There is something about it that just compels you. I can stare at it all day and still be mystified. It makes me want to be a part of it, to move the way it does, to flow and slide over things as if they weren't there, to mold itself around rocks and trees and move with the same strength and force that becomes this big rushing waterfall that is so beautiful and yet so dangerous if you were to be caught under it.

The view when we got to the waterfall was breathtaking. The river splits into one big waterfall and many little ones to the side of it. We spent a good couple of hours, taking tons of pictures, walking as close to the waterfall as humanly possible, exploring the walkways and a small cave behind the fall. We had lunch at this restaurant near the falls (unfortunately, not to our expectations), and walked around until we found a cafe we could dry off in. Then we made our way back to the place we started and watched the sun set in shades of purple, blue, and orange. All in all it was a very relaxing and fun day and I was glad I went.


an immigrant experience?

I was talking to a friend the other day in the library when my mom skype called me. She had just learned how to use it, and since I was online, she saw I was on. Unfortunately I couldn't talk and, thinking it was my dad, I sent an instant message telling him that I was at the library. When I found out it was my mom, I realized she wouldn't understand my message. My friend remarked on how interesting it was that people could live for years in the US without having to learn English.

This reminded me of something that I had been thinking about. Walking around the city, I often read names of stores and words on signs to myself and wonder what they mean. I am constantly surprised at myself for being able to live in a city where I don't speak the national language. Then I realized that this is what immigrants must feel like, in the US. Here, study abroad kids know how to get from point A to point B; we know how to ask for certain things, how to say please and thank you; we can do the basic necessary steps for living here...but when it comes to doing something apart from the daily grind, we are lost. You could say we are "immigrants" of Greece. I have a newfound respect now, for people who bravely enter a world in which they must feel so lost, and yet are able to conquer this language barrier in their own way (However, it doesn't go without saying that many immigrants can live in America and speak their native language 90% of the time, and still be self-sufficient).

.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to thank my family and friends for supporting me (monetarily or otherwise), on my travels. Specifically, thanks to my parents and extended family for making this possible. Without your support I would not be able to experience all that I have and will experience, and for that I am extremely grateful. I love you all.

No comments: